A running short designed for lightweight wovens or mesh fabrics with three optional pockets, curved seamlines, bound hem, and elastic waist. An optional runderwear brief or thong can be attached at the waistband or worn separately.
Intermediate sewing skills are required for this pattern - some experience with sewing knits is expected.
The shorts pattern is drafted with some ease and can be sewn with woven or stretch fabric. The runderwear pattern requires 4-way stretch jersey fabric with good recovery - it is drafted with 10% negative ease (the finished garment will be 90% of body measurements). The shorts inseam is 5cm (2in).
1cm (3/8in) seam allowances are included on the shorts, except for the waistband edge, where a 4cm (1 1/2in) elastic allowance is included. A 6mm (1/4in) seam allowance is included on the runderwear. Due to the unorthodox seamlines, I have also included diagrams showing how to make common fit adjustments to this pattern (in addition to my usual illustrated instructions!).
This pattern is designed and tested to print onto both A4 and US Letter paper, and uses 21 pages for the pattern. If you are only making the shorts, you'll need to print 15 pages, with the runderwear making up the other 6 pages. An A0 compatible "Print at Copy Shop" version is also included.
Update for 2021: This now comes as layered pdfs, so you can just print your size(s) if your pdf app supports it (ie: Adobe Acrobat).
- Layered pdfs (with separate sizes)
- "Trimless" Print at Home pdf (compatible with A4 and US Letter)
- Copy Shop pdf (compatible with A0 and 36in wide)
- Projector-optimized pdf
- Fully illustrated instructions
- 6 sizes (see images for size chart)
- Common Fit Adjustments guide
- Shorts: 0.9m (3/4 yard) of aerated wicking polyester such as DriFit(TM), CoolMax(TM), etc, or alternatively, lightweight, woven nylon (similar to RipStop).
- Runderwear: 0.4m (3/8 yard) Lycra jersey with at least 50% stretch in both directions and good recovery (wicking lycra is ideal!) and small scrap of natural fibre fabric for crotch lining
- Twin needle or coverstitch for elastic edges and hem
- 2m FOE (aka “fold over elastic”) or other binding
- Less than 1m of 2cm (3/4in) woven (aka “braided”) waistband elastic
- 2m of 6mm (1/4in) wide lingerie elastic for integrated runderwear, or 3m for standalone runderwear.
Online sportswear fabrics can be found at a multitude of online shops. I’ve compiled a global list at http://bit.ly/exfabriclist
I am a long-distance runner and also a sewist - I've long been disappointed by the quality and fit of exercise clothing available on the market, so I've been sewing my own for the past few years - even running seven full marathons in my own-sewn gear! All my digital sewing patterns have been road-tested by myself and a team of fellow fit sewists. This pattern in particular has been in development for over four months, and I ran the 2014 Berlin marathon in a pair!
My patterns are for personal use only. No commercial use of the products made from this pattern or derivations thereof is allowed. So feel free to make them for yourself, friends, family, etc, but you can't sell products made from my patterns.
This is a digital product - you will receive an email with the download link shortly after purchase. Please check your Spam folder, but if it hasn't arrived in 24hrs, please get in touch.