XYT Workout Top
This is a digital sewing pattern for a close-fitting, sleeveless workout top with front scoop neck, and choice of three upper back designs. An optional built-in bra is included, and neck and armhole edges can either be finished with hidden elastic or bound using a coverstitch binder.
Intermediate sewing skills are required for this pattern - some experience with sewing knits is expected. Note that this pattern requires stretch jersey fabric with good recovery - it is drafted with negative ease (the finished garment will be 90% of body measurements)! The bra requires power mesh lining fabric with stretch in both directions.
1cm (3/8in) seam allowances are included except for bra’s wide elastic edges where 2cm (3/4in) is included. A 3cm (1 1/4”) hem allowance is also included.
This pattern is designed and tested to print onto both A4 and US Letter paper, and uses 12 pages for the pattern. An A0 compatible "Print at Copy Shop" version is also included.
Update for June 2017: This now comes as layered pdfs, so you can just print your size(s) and language(s) if your pdf app supports it (ie: Adobe Acrobat).
- Less than 1m (1 yard) of Lycra jersey with at least 50% stretch in both directions and good recovery (wicking lycra is ideal!)
- 3m (3 1/4 yd) of 1cm (3/8 in) elastic for armhole & neckline edges (omit if using bindings).
- Less than 0.5m (1/2 yard) power mesh for bra lining (optional). Power mesh (aka “Power net”) is often used for lingerie and bra making - it stretches in one or both directions and is very supportive once stretched to its limits. You should measure the stretch of your Power Mesh before cutting your fabric (see “Power Mesh Stretch Test” section)
- Accent trim or contrast lycra for T Back Lower (optional)
- Less than 1m (1 yard) of 2cm (3/4”) elastic for bottom edge of bra lining (optional)
- Twin needle for elastic edges and hem (or coverstitch)
Online sportswear fabrics can be found at a multitude of online shops. I’ve compiled a global list at http://bit.ly/exfabriclistI am a long-distance runner and also a sewist - I've long been disappointed by the quality and fit of exercise clothing available on the market, so I've been sewing my own for the past few years - even running seven full marathons in my own-sewn gear! All my digital sewing patterns have been road-tested by myself and a team of fellow fit sewists.
My patterns are for personal use only. No commercial use of the products made from this pattern or derivations thereof is allowed. So feel free to make them for yourself, friends, family, etc, but you can't sell products made from my patterns.
This is a digital product - you will receive an email with the download link shortly after purchase. Please check your Spam folder, but if it hasn't arrived in 24hrs, please get in touch.
À l'attention des couturières francophones - vous devez ajouter à votre panier à la fois le patron PDF et les instructions en Français. Les instructions en Français n'incluent pas les pièces du patron, il vous faut donc les deux fichiers pour coudre ce vêtement.
Nederlandstalige naai(st)ers - Voeg zowel het PDF patroon als de Nederlandstalige instructies toe aan het winkelmandje hierboven. Bij de Nederlandstalige instructies zitten geen patroondelen, dus je hebt beide nodig om dit kledingstuk te kunnen maken.