Sew a basic long- or short-sleeved teeshirt with banded neck and asymmetric seaming, or choose to add on thumb cuffs to the sleeves (without any hand sewing!), a hood with a special opening for your ponytail, or a zippered back pocket - perfect for cycling and hiking. Choose to add just one, or even all three features onto your teeshirt! Geometric seaming on the front and back makes this top perfect for colourblocking.
Beginner sewing skills are required for the basic pattern, ponytail hood, and thumb cuffs - some experience with sewing knits is expected. Intermediate sewing skills are required for the invisible zipper pocket.
1cm (3/8in) seam allowances and 2cm (3/4in) hem and sleeve hem allowances are included throughout. Fully illustrated instructions will help you through the construction every step of the way. Instructions for removing the ponytail window from the hood are also included.
This pattern is designed and tested to print onto both A4 and US Letter paper, and uses 35 pages for the basic tee, and a few additional pages for each of the optional extras. An A0 compatible "Print at Copy Shop" version is also included.
Note that the thumb cuffs here are interchangeable with the hand mitts from the Surf to Summit Top (Ladies) pattern, so you can swap them however you like.
- This top can be made in a variety of stretch jersey fabrics, such as cotton jersey, wool jersey, ponte jersey, sweatshirting, French terry, or supplex lycra with at least 20% crosswise stretch.
- Fabric 1 (Upper Front, Upper Back, Sleeves & Neckline): 1m (1 yard) of 150cm (60in) wide fabric
- Fabric 2 (Side Front & Side Back): 40cm (1/2 yard) of 150cm (60in) wide fabric
- Fabric 3 (Lower Front & Lower Back): 40cm (1/2 yard) of 150cm (60in) wide fabric
- Thumb Cuffs: 20cm (1/4 yard) of 150cm (60in) wide fabric (NB: The Thumb Cuffs can be cut from either of the three Tessellate Tee fabrics without the need to buy extra fabric)
- Ponytail Hood: 0.5m (1/2 yard) of 150cm (60in) wide fabric
- Back Pocket: 40cm (1/2 yard) of 10cm (60in) wide fabric, one 20cm (8in) invisible zipper, and a small amount of lightweight iron-on interfacing or Vilene bias tape.
- Twin needle or coverstitch for hem and sleeve hems.
- Note: To make the entire top with thumb cuffs, ponytail hood, and back pocket in one fabric requires 1.9m (2 1/8yd) of 150cm (60in) wide fabric.
I am a long-distance runner and also a sewist - I've long been disappointed by the quality and fit of exercise clothing available on the market, so I've been sewing my own for the past few years - even running seven full marathons in my own-sewn gear! All my digital sewing patterns have been road-tested by myself and a team of fellow fit sewists.
My patterns are for personal use only. No commercial use of the products made from this pattern or derivations thereof is allowed. So feel free to make them for yourself, friends, family, etc, but you can't sell products made from my patterns.
This is a digital product - you will receive an email with the download link shortly after purchase. Please check your Spam folder, but if it hasn't arrived in 24hrs, please get in touch.