These leggings have no inseams! Instead, a curved, outer seam runs from the back of the ankle up to the centre front, where it joins a separate yoke piece. There’s an optional, hidden back pocket, elasticated waistband, and your choice of three lengths: biker short, capri, or full length leggings.
Intermediate sewing skills are required for this pattern - some experience with sewing knits is expected. Note that this pattern requires stretch jersey fabric with good recovery - it is drafted with negative ease (the finished garment will be 90% of body measurements). The biker short hem ends 13 cm (5 in) above the knee and the capri hem ends 8cm (3 1/4 in) below the knee.
1cm (3/8in) seam allowances are included except for the waistband edge, where a 4cm (1 1/2in) elastic allowance is included. A 2cm (3/4in) hem allowance is also included. Due to the unorthodox seamlines, I have also included diagrams showing how to make common fit adjustments to this pattern (in addition to my usual illustrated instructions!).
This pattern is designed and tested to print onto both A4 and US Letter paper, and uses 22 pages for the pattern. An A0 compatible "Print at Copy Shop" version is also included.
UPDATED for 2020: Both Print at Home and Copy Shop versions are all layered pdfs, so you may choose to just print the layers of your size(s) and the Text layer if your pdf app supports it (ie: Adobe Acrobat). The English and French language instructions and patterns are now separate files. By purchasing this pattern you are purchasing it in both languages now!
- Layered pdfs (with separate sizes)
- Print at Home pdf (compatible with A4 and US Letter)
- Copy Shop pdf (compatible with A0 and 36in wide)
- Projector-optimized pdf
- Fully illustrated instructions
- 6 sizes (see images for size chart)
- Common Fit Adjustments guide
- English and French translated pattern & instruction files
- Full length leggings: 1.2m (1 3/8 yard) of 150cm (60in) wide lycra with at least 50% stretch in both directions.
- Capri length: 1m (1 yard) of 150cm (60in) wide lycra with at least 50% stretch in both directions.
- Biker short length: 70cm (7/8 yard) of 150cm (60in) wide lycra with at least 50% stretch in both directions.
- Less than 1m of 2cm (3/4in) woven (aka “braided”) waistband elastic
- Twin needle or coverstitch for elastic edges and hem
- Silicone paint for additional grip on knee areas (optional, for equestrians)
Activewear fabrics can be found at a multitude of online shops. I’ve compiled a global list at http://bit.ly/exfabriclist
I am a long-distance runner and also a sewist - I've long been disappointed by the quality and fit of exercise clothing available on the market, so I've been sewing my own for the past few years - even running seven full marathons in my own-sewn gear! All my digital sewing patterns have been road-tested by myself and a team of fellow fit sewists.
My patterns are for personal use only. No commercial use of the products made from this pattern or derivations thereof is allowed. So feel free to make them for yourself, friends, family, etc, but you can't sell products made from my patterns.
This is a digital product - you will receive an email with the download link shortly after purchase. Please check your Spam folder, but if it hasn't arrived in 24hrs, please get in touch.
À l'attention des couturières francophones - vous devez ajouter à votre panier à la fois le patron PDF et les instructions en Français. Les instructions en Français n'incluent pas les pièces du patron, il vous faut donc les deux fichiers pour coudre ce vêtement.