This is a pattern for close-fitting capris or shorts in three lengths with contrast side panels. There’s an integrated pocket at each hip, perfect for gels, keys, or your phone plus an optional padding piece for cyclists wanting some extra comfort on their ride. An elasticated, high-rise waistband means they won’t shift around as you move, either!
UPDATED FOR 2020: This pattern is now layered, with an improved fit and much bigger pocket! The English and French versions are now separated off (you receive both languages when purchasing now), and we've made improvements to the readability of the pattern.
Intermediate sewing skills are required for this pattern - some experience with sewing knits is expected. Note that this pattern requires stretch jersey fabric with good recovery - it is drafted with negative ease (the finished garment will be 90% of body measurements)!
1cm (3/8”) seam allowances are included except for the waistband edge, where a 4cm (1 1/2in) elastic allowance is included. A 3cm (1 1/4”) hem allowance is also included for each length.
This pattern is designed and tested to print onto both A4 and US Letter paper, and uses 20 pages for the pattern. An A0 compatible "Print at Copy Shop" version is also included.
- Layered pdf (with separate sizes)
- "Trimless" Print at Home pdf (compatible with A4 and US Letter)
- Copy Shop pdf (compatible with A0 and 36in wide)
- Projector-optimized pdf
- Fully illustrated instructions
- 6 sizes (see images for size chart)
- Common Fit Adjustments section
- English and French translated pattern & instruction files
- 1m (or 1yd) of 150cm (60in) wide main lycra jersey with at least 50% stretch in both directions and good recovery (wicking lycra is ideal!). Lots of great lycra shops only sell by the whole meter - this is designed so you only need to buy one meter of main fabric for the capri length! For the biker or booty shorts you’ll need even less.
- 70cm (28in) of 150cm (60in wide) accent lycra jersey with at least 50% stretch in both directions
- Less than 1m of 2cm (3/4in) woven (aka “braided”) waistband elastic
- Less than 0.5m (“fat quarter”) padding fabric.This does not need to stretch - you can use one (or more!) layers of thick fleece, sweatshirting, or laminated foam padding (used in bra making) to achieve the perfect cushioning.
Online sportswear fabrics can be found at a multitude of online shops. I’ve compiled a global list at http://bit.ly/exfabriclist
I am a long-distance runner and also a sewist - I've long been disappointed by the quality and fit of exercise clothing available on the market, so I've been sewing my own for the past few years - even running seven full marathons in my own-sewn gear! All my digital sewing patterns have been road-tested by myself and a team of fellow fit sewists.
Our patterns are for personal use only. No commercial use of the products made from this pattern or derivations thereof is allowed. So feel free to make them for yourself, friends, family, etc, but you can't sell products made from these patterns.
If you don't sew but love the design, get in touch as I can also make these on demand.
This is a digital product - you will receive an email with the download link shortly after purchase. Please check your Spam folder, but if it hasn't arrived in 24hrs, please get in touch.
À l'attention des couturières francophones - vous devez ajouter à votre panier à la fois le patron PDF et les instructions en Français. Les instructions en Français n'incluent pas les pièces du patron, il vous faut donc les deux fichiers pour coudre ce vêtement.